Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Creamy Methi Paneer

Hi!

So I realise that I have been absent from my blog for sometime but if you have been following my posts since the beginning you must have got used to my erratic frequency of writing. I know I know that it is not an excuse for not posting in a while but please let me use it as one this time. 

So yesterday we had someone coming over and I was in charge of the dinner menu. I realised the refrigerator just had capsicum so I made capsicum-potatoes or Shimla mirch-aloo as we call it normally. Dal is always obvious. I was glad when my father-in-law got paneer. I knew it will make the perfect third dish. 

I had got tired of making the same old kadai paneer and butter paneer masala, so this time I thought of making a new kind of paneer dish. ( I will not lie it was also because I have recently found out that I am allergic to a few things and onions and tomatoes are among those things!). 

The idea of this dish comes from something my mom cooks for us but I have brought in my own changes to it and the result is phenomenal. 

So this creamy paneer dish is not as much work as it looks. It was loved by everyone, even my little girl! So it is definitely a win. 

If you want to make something rich looking and rich tasting but do not want to work extremely hard, this dish is your answer.



INGREDIENTS (serves 4)

3 tbsp oil
2 tbsp yellow butter
2 cloves of garlic (crushed or grated)
3 tbsp wholewheat flour (atta)
Handful of cashews
3/4th cup of milk
Salt as required
1 tbsp of pepper
1 tbsp of mixed herbs
2 handfuls of crushed kasoori methi
375gms paneer (cottage cheese)
Water as required.


RECIPE

Grind cashews in a mixer with some water to get a runny cashew paste. Yes runny not thick.

Pour oil in a wok and let it get warm.

Add butter cubes to the oil and let them melt.

Toss in the grated garlic and let it fry for 30 seconds.

Add the wholewheat flour to the garlic oil and cook it for a minute. 

Add half a cup of water to the flour to form a paste, followed by the runny cashew paste.

Give it all a good stir and let it simmer. Add milk to this and let it all come to a boil.

Throw in the crushed dried fenugreek (kasoori methi) and let it cook.

Keep adding a little water and a little milk if the gravy looks too thick.

Add salt, pepper and mixed herbs to the gravy and let it come to a boil.

Toss the cubed paneer into the gravy. Let it all cook for a few minutes and allow the flavours to come together.

Transfer it to your serving dish, sprinkle some pepper on top and serve hot.


Honestly I can eat this dish even without a bread. My little squirrel licked it off her plate in no time. But you can serve it with any bread of your choice. 

NOTE:

If your gravy looks too runny even after a lot of simmering make a paste of wholewheat flour, milk and water and add it to the gravy. The consistency of this paste should be the same as honey. 

I hope this dish comes to your rescue when you are uncertain about the next dinner party at your place, because believe me it is definitely a winner!

P.S: the title of this post is creamy methi paneer and not methi malai paneer because there is NO malai in it!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete