Monday, May 19, 2014

Culture Code Landscape by Adi and Suhail

 
L-R: Suhail and Adi (source: https://www.facebook.com/adiandsuhail)
So, I had taken a sabbatical from blogging for a fortnight but I have come back to share something really worth the wait. 

I have been hooked on to this song since I have listened to it. It has literally been playing on repeat. It is called Laage re from the album Culture Code Landscape by Adi and Suhail. Now those of you who are into Indian folk-electro or simply put fusion music must already be following the two musicians like bees hovering over flowers.  But let me confess I have never been the kind of person who will go searching for the new upcoming music, be it any genre then (sad I know!). I only realised how awesome the duo is when I saw them performing live last to last Sunday at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.

So, for the unfortunate ones (like I was till I listened to these guys) who are living in oblivion, unaware of the duo’s amazing music, here is a quick intro:
Indian electro-sarangi duo Adi and Suhail are independently successful musicians, who have recently come out with their album called “Culture Code Landscape”. It was launched in the capital on 4th May this year (the first time I listened to the two of them and became an addition/just-another-fan to their already insane fan following).

A little about Aditya Balani A.K.A Adi

Adi who also leads the Aditya Balani Group, a cinematic word-jazz ensemble featuring musicians from across the globe, is a versatile guitarist and composer. He has pursued music at Berklee College of Music in the US. And I know he loves his wife Megha :p.

A little about Suhail Yusuf Khan A.KA. Suhail

Suhail is an eighth generation sarangi player, grandson of the great Ustad Sabri Khan and nephew of the iconic Ustad Kamal Sabri. With music running in his blood, Suhail enjoys a vast variety of music.  I have been lucky enough to know him personally (Now can’t I boast a little? Huh!). He was a part of the Indian Music Society of our college. Though Suhail has sung beautifully for the album, I cannot fathom why he stuck to just playing sarangi during the college days. I suppose he was saving his other skills for the future.

About Culture Code Landscape

The name of the album was suggested by Aditya who explains that music is like the DNA of culture. He had earlier wanted to baptize the duo with this name but both, Adi and Suhail, found the name more appropriate for their album and zeroed in on the decision of calling it by the name“Culture Code Landscape”.

The album is a compilation of nine beautiful songs. The popular Shilpa Rao who has sung songs for movies like Lootera, Cocktail and English Vinglish has also lend her voice for a song in the album.
My personal favourite is Laage re while my husband cannot stop listening to Pehchaan.

Following is a series of questions that I had shot at Suhail and I must say he was very cooperative to answer :)

Q1. What do you like doing when not making music?
Suhail: I like reading books, going out for jogs, catching up with friends listening to new music, going out for gigs and stuff.

Q2. Who do you idolize?
Suhail: My gurus Ustad Sabri Khan (Grand Dad) and Kamal Sabri (Uncle). The one and only voice from the heaven Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan; he is the reason why I sing. Pandit Ravi Shankar, U.Sriniwas and the list can just go on and on.

Q3. Tell us something about yourself that your fans do not know already?
Suhail: Well the question is: do my fans know anything at all about me? Hahahaha Apart from seeing me perform on stage :)

Q4. When and where will we see you perform next?
 Suhail: Well as Adi & Suhail in London on the 22nd of May.

Q5. A message for the listeners
Suhail:  Please support art and artistes. Help independent music grow more and more. Spread love amongst each other, as together we can bring a change and make this world a better place.


Since the album has been released on an independent platform, it is available on OKListen, Amazon and iTunes. Infact it was rated the #1 album on the iTunes chart a few weeks back.

album cover (source: https://www.facebook.com/adiandsuhail/photos_stream)

P.S.: I have not been paid to promote the album nor am I doing a favour since Suhail is a friend. The album is GENUINELY good. Go listen and you’ll know :)






2 comments: